22nd May, 2023 MISCELLANEOUS
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: Ukraine’s President Vlodymyr Zelensky on the G7 platform has denied the claims Russia that said they have captured the city of Bakhmut in Ukraine.
- Zelensky said that the reports of Bakhmut's fall were "fake news" and "propaganda" aimed at undermining Ukraine's morale and international support.
- He said that the Ukrainian army was holding its positions and repelling the Russian-backed attacks.
- He called on the world to stand with Ukraine and condemn Russia's actions, which he said threatened global peace and security.
- He also thanked Japan for hosting him at the G7 summit and for its solidarity and assistance to Ukraine.
Bakhmut in Ukraine
- Bakhmut is a city in eastern Ukraine that has been at the centre of a fierce conflict between Ukrainian and Russian forces since February 2022.
- The city, which lies on the Bakhmutka River, is the administrative centre of the Bakhmut Raion district and has a population of about 77,000 people.
- The town is known for its salt industry, which dates back to the 18th century and produces about 200,000 tons of salt per year.
- Bakhmut is also a cultural and educational centre, with several museums, theatres, libraries and schools.
- The town has a rich architectural heritage, featuring buildings from different historical periods and styles, such as Baroque, Classicism, Art Nouveau and Constructivism.
- Since the outbreak of the war, Bakhmut has been reduced to rubble and ruins, with thousands of civilians killed or displaced by the violence.
- The battle for Bakhmut has become a symbol of resistance for Ukraine and a target of conquest for Russia.
- Both sides have claimed to control the city at different times, but the situation remains fluid and uncertain.
- As of May 2023, Russia says it has fully captured Bakhmut, but Ukraine denies this and says it still holds part of the city and is trying to encircle the enemy forces.
- The international community has condemned Russia's aggression and expressed support for Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity.
Must Read Articles:
Group of Seven (G7): https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/g-7-50
Q. Recently the place “Bakhmut” was frequently mentioned in the news. It is located in;