Bharat Series (BH) Ecosystem
17th December, 2022 Economy
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has allowed the conversion of regular vehicle registrations into Bharat Series (BH) numbers as part of measures to widen the scope of the BH series ecosystem. Earlier, only new vehicles could opt for the BH series mark.
What is the BH number plate?
- The Government of India introduced the BH Number Plate or Bharat Series Registration Number for non-transport vehicles in August 2021. The BH Series number plate removes the obligation of transferring vehicle registration after moving from one state to the other. Registration for the BH series commenced from 15th September 2021.
- For example, As per the Motor Vehicles Act, let us suppose your car is registered in Karnataka with a KA number plate. If you relocate then you can drive your vehicle with the KA number plate only for a period of 12 months in the new state. Thereafter you will have to register the vehicle in the new state. But with the BH series registration number that will not be necessary. But the BH series number plate was not for all.
- Those eligible for the BH number series include:
- State and Central Government employees
- Defense sector
- Bank employees
- Administrative services
- Private firm employees who have offices in more than four States or Union Territories.
- The reason to bring the BH series license plate is to save the time and energy of the citizens from the annoyances of transfers of vehicles each time they relocate.
Features of Bharat Series Number Plate
- The BH series is applicable only for non-transport vehicles.
- For BH series registration, one can avoid the re-registering process of the vehicle once they shift to a new state.
- Saves time, effort and paperwork for the entire process.
- The BH series number plate is valid throughout the country.
- The BH series number plate looks like an usual license plate with a white background and black fonts, except the format of the license number is different.
- The BH series registration number consists of the Year of Registration as in YY, followed by BH as in code for Bharat series, the 4-digit BH series registration number and XX that stands for two alphabets (Excluding I & O) indicating the vehicle category. For example, YY BH #### XX.
- The road tax for the BH series vehicles can be paid online which remains applicable for 14 years once paid. Post that an annual payment is compulsory.
- The percentage of road tax to be paid based on the invoice of the car is convenient as well. 8% for cars below Rs. 10 Lakh, 10% for cars between Rs. 10 to Rs. 20 Lakhs and 12% for cars costing above Rs. 20 Lakh.
How to get a BH series number plate?
- The process to get a BH series number plate is an online process. The vehicles can be registered online by the dealer at the time of purchase through the Vahan portal. After the registration process is completed, the vehicle owner will have their BH series number plate.
What does a BH series number plate look like?
- The number plate will be the usual ones for private vehicles, with black text and white background. However, there will be a change in the format of the texts and numbers.
So far, according to the latest government data, more than 49,600 vehicles have been registered under the Bharat (BH) series.
Recent Changes made
- The conversion of regular vehicle registrations into Bharat Series (BH) will now be allowed as a part of measures to widen the scope of the BH series ecosystem.
- Vehicles currently having regular registration mark can also be converted to BH series registration mark, subject to payment of requisite tax, to facilitate persons who subsequently become eligible for BH series registration mark.
- Further, the ministry has proposed an amendment in a rule to provide flexibility to submit an application for the BH series either at the place of residence or place of work with a view to providing further ease of life to the citizen.