6th August, 2022 Polity and Governance
Copyright infringement not intended
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by the Prime Minister has extended the tenure of present Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba for one year.
- He was first appointed as the Cabinet Secretary in 2019 for a term of two years.
- He received an extension in service in 2021.
- The Cabinet Secretary is the top-most executive official and senior-most civil servant of the Government of India.
- The Cabinet Secretary is the ex-officio head of the Civil Services Board.
- The administrative head of the Cabinet Secretariat.
- Works under the direct charge of the Prime Minister.
- He is responsible for the administration of the Transaction and Business rules and Allocation of business rules.
- He ensures that the President, Vice President and Ministries are kept informed of the major activities of all Ministries/Departments by means of a monthly Summary of their Activities.
- Manage the major crises in the country and Coordinate activities of various Ministries in such a situation.
- Provide Secretarial Assistance:
- Convening of the meetings of the cabinet on the orders of the Prime Minister.
- Preparation and Circulation of the agenda.
- Preparing a record of discussions taken.
- Circulation of the record after obtaining the approval of the Prime Minister.
- Watching implementation of the decisions taken by the Cabinet.
- Custodian of the papers of the Cabinet meetings
- Acts as the chief coordinator of the central government
- Chairman of the Civil Services Board, which recommends the empanelment of officers (except officers under the Ministry of External Affairs), for the ranks of secretary, additional secretary and joint secretary.
- Chairman of the Conference of Chief Secretaries of States.
- Recommends postings of officers (except officers under the Ministry of External Affairs) of the rank of secretary and additional Secretary to the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
- Acts as a senior adviser to the Prime Minister.
- Assist the Council of Ministers.