16th November, 2023 Environment
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Researchers have discovered new gecko species endemic to Mizoram.
- The new species has been named ‘Cyrtodactylus vairengtensis’ after the town in Mizoram where it was found.
- The common name suggested for the new species is ‘Vairengte bent-toed gecko’.
- The new species is a moderate-sized gecko, with adults measuring between 57.6mm and 73.6mm.
- “The distinct feature of this new species is the number of femoral pores which distinguishes it from other members of the Cyrtodactylus family.
- Femoral pores are located on the underside of the hind legs in lizards that secrete a mixture of lipids and proteins and are thought to be used to attract mates and mark territories.