DRAFT GUIDELINES FOR OPERATIONALIZATION OF RO-RO AND RO-PAX FERRY SERVICE
17th June, 2022 Social Issues
Copyright infringement not intended
- After taking inputs from different stakeholders, the Ministry has prepared a draft of the “Guidelines for Operationalization of Ro-Ro and Ro-Pax ferry service along the coast of India”.
- These guidelines will standardise and facilitate the development and operations of ferry services.
- It will promote ease of doing business by eliminating unnecessary delays.
- Introduce digital interventions at the customer interface.
- Provide help to State/UT Governments and Port Authorities in the implementation of projects.
- It will help to increase private participation and also promote healthy competition.
Significance of the step
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways has stressed the development of Ro-Ro (Roll-on, Roll-off) ferry and waterway transportation in India.
- Under the Sagarmala Programme, the Ministry is promoting and developing Ro-Ro (Roll-on, Roll-off) ferry and waterway transportation.
- Ro-Ro (Roll-on, Roll-off) ferry ships are the type of cargo ships that are designed to carry wheeled cargo, such as cars, motorcycles, trucks, buses, etc.
- This mode of transportation has several benefits;
- It will reduce travel time.
- Reduce logistics costs.
- Lower Pollution in comparison to the conventional modes of transportation (road or rail).
- Under the Sagarmala Programme, the Ministry is financially supporting 45 projects with a total project cost of Rs. 1900 Crore.
- This will generate employment, improve infrastructure and promote ease of doing business in the country.
- It is an environment-friendly mode of transportation and also promotes the public welfare.