18th May, 2023 Environment
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- A team of researchers from the Mizoram University and the MaxPlanck Institute for Biology, Tubingen, Germany, found a new species of gecko in Mizoram along the Indo-Myanmar border.
- This new species can glide and researchers have termed it a parachute gecko.
- Geckos are small, mostly carnivorous lizards found in warm climates throughout the world.
- What makes them unique is their vocalisation and loud mating calls.
- The species found inhabiting Mizoram, has previously been discovered in parts of South Asia including Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, and Cambodia.
- These flying, parachute, or gliding geckos are a subgenus called Ptychozoon of the Gekko genus.
- There are 13 species of them throughout the world and they are found in Southeast Asia.
- Among them, only one species Ptychozoon lionotum or smooth-backed gliding gecko-was found in Mizoram.
- New species differed from the Ptychozoon lionotum. There is a 21 per cent difference in DNA of both species and there were morphological variations too.
- The new species, which is around 20 cm in length, is an arboreal that lives on trees.
- It can glide from one tree to another and is
- Those found in residential areas are usually seen on the exterior walls of buildings.
MUST READ ARTICLES:
About Gecko: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/chengodumala-dwarf-gecko
Q) Which of the following statements with reference to Parachute Gecko is/are incorrect?
1. It can glide from one tree to another and is nocturnal.
2. They are small, mostly carnivorous lizards found in warm climates throughout the world.
a. 1 only
b. 2 only
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
Correct Answer: b