5th October, 2021 Science and Technology
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Union Health Minister launched the ICMR’s drone response and outreach in the north-east (i-Drone).
- The delivery model is aimed at ensuring that life-saving vaccines reach everyone.
- This is for the first time that a ‘Make in India’ drone has been used in South Asia to transport COVID vaccine over an aerial distance of 15 km in 12-15 minutes from the Bishnupur district hospital to Loktak lake, Karang island in Manipur for administration at the primary health centre.
- India is home to geographical diversities and drones can be used to deliver essentials to the last mile.
- This would facilitate vaccine delivery to tough and hard-to-reach terrains.
- Currently, the drone-based delivery project has been granted permission for implementation in Manipur and Nagaland, as well as the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation and other regulatory authorities have granted permission to fly drones beyond the visual line of sight.