INDIA GABON RELATIONS
24th November, 2022 International Relations
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: India and Gabon held the first Foreign Office Consultations in New Delhi.
- Both sides carried out a comprehensive review of the existing bilateral relations, including strengthening of cooperation in trade and economic relations, defence and maritime.
- The two sides also exchanged views on regional and international issues of mutual interest, including cooperation in the UN and other multilateral fora, climate change, International Solar Alliance and sustainable development.
- India and Gabon have enjoyed warm and friendly relations dating back to pre-independence era of Gabon.
- Gabon has supported India’s candidature at various international forums.
- Visits from the Gabonese side to India have been regular.
- India has provided Lines of Credit to Gabon.
- 26 ITEC slots were utilized from 2016-2019.
- Gabon was among the first 15 African countries to implement the Pan African e-network project.
- A Vocational Training Centre is proposed to be set up in Gabon, under the Plan of Action agreed with the African Union at the first India Africa Forum Summit held in New Delhi in April, 2008.
- The main items of export were meat and edible meat offal, plastic and articles thereof, iron and steel, machinery and mechanical appliances, electrical machinery and equipment. Main items of import comprised ores, slag and ash, mineral fuels, mineral oils and products of their distillation, bituminous substances, and mineral waxes.
- There are around 800 Indians living in Gabon. They are basically engaged in infrastructure projects, trading, export of timber and metal scrap.