21st December, 2022 Defence
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: INSV Tarini has set sail for an expedition to Cape Town, South Africa for participating in the 50th edition of Cape to Rio Race 2023. This ocean sailing race will be flagged off from Cape Town on 2nd January, 2023 and will culminate at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The race is one of the most prestigious Trans-Atlantic ocean races.
- The expedition is being undertaken by an Indian Navy crew of five officers including two women officers.
- During the expedition while transiting from Goa to Rio de Janeiro via Cape Town and back, INSV Tarini would be covering a distance of almost 17000 nautical miles.
- INSV Tarini is known for circumnavigating the globe with an all-women officer crew in the historic expedition titled ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’ in 2017.
- It is the second sailboat of Indian Navy after INSV Mhedi.