6th March, 2023 Security
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
Context: INS Trikand is participating in the International Maritime Exercise/ Cutlass Express 2023 (IMX/CE-23) being held in the Gulf region from 26 Feb to 16 Mar 23.
- She will exercise with participants from over 50 nations and international maritime agencies with the common aim of enhancing maritime security and keeping sea lanes in the region safe for maritime commerce.
About the exercise:
- IMX/CE-23 is one of the largest multinational maritime exercises in the world.
- IMX 23 is a U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT)-led maritime exercise held across territorial and international waters across the Middle East, and Cutlass Express is an annual U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa (NAVEUR-NAVAF) exercise that includes East African and West Indian Ocean partner nations.
- This year, the two events will be combined. IMX/Cutlass Express is designed to demonstrate global resolve to preserve the rules-based international order, offer a unique chance to collaborate with like-minded participants and illustrate the importance of those relationships
- While this is Indian Navy’s maiden IMX participation, it also marks the second occasion where an Indian Naval ship is participating in an exercise conducted by the CMF.
- Earlier, in Nov 22, INS Trikand had participated in the CMF led Operation Sea Sword 2.
- Participation in exercises like Sea Sword 2 and IMX/CE-23 enables the Indian Navy in strengthening relationships and enhancing interoperability and collective maritime capability with maritime partners in the IOR.
- It also enables the Navy contribute constructively to regional stability and security.
About INS Trikand:
- It is a frontline frigate, is equipped with a versatile range of weapons and sensors.
- The ship is a part of the Indian Navy’s Western Fleet, based at Mumbai.
Q) Which of the following statements is/are correct with reference to IMX/CE-23?
a. IMX 23 is a U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT)-led maritime exercise.
b. Cutlass Express is an annual U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa (NAVEUR-NAVAF) exercise.
Answer: Option 3