JAISAMAND WILDLIFE SANCTUARY
26th May, 2023 Environment
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Rajasthan Chief Minister virtually inaugurated ‘Jungle Safari’ at Jaisamand Wildlife Sanctuary.
About the Wildlife Sanctuary
- Established in 1957, this sanctuaryis located beside the man-made lake of the same name. Covering a total area of 160 sq km.
- The Jaisamand Wildlife Sanctuary is situated near Udaipur, amidst lush green valleys of the Aravallis Range.
- The forest of the Sanctuary used to be a Shikargah (Game Reserve) of the erstwhile Maharanas of Mewar.
- The world famous Jaisamand Lake forms an integral part of Sanctuary.
About the lake
- Jaisamand Lake, one of Asia’s largest artificial aquatic bodies, was constructed by Maharana Jai Singh of Mewar in late 17th century (1691 AD) to provide water for the population of Udaipur.
- It is India's first and world's oldest historical and second largest artificial fresh water lake in India.
- When first built, it was the largest artificial lake in the world.
- The Dhebar Lake Marble Dam is a part of the "Heritage Monuments of India". The dam also has the Hawa Mahal Palace, winter Capital of the erstwhile Maharanas of Mewar.
- The lake now not only serves this purpose, but also provides an ideal habitat for many local and migratory birds.
- A small waterbody called the Dhebar Jheel existed here originally.
- According to folklore, nine rivers and ninety-nine rivulets feed Jaisamand.
- The lake receives water from four main rivers, the Gomti, Jhamari, Rooparel and Bagaar.
- The tree species are representative of dry deciduous forests, and scrub forests.
- Leopard is the top carnivore.
- Other predators include Jungle Cat and Striped Hyena.
- Common Langur is the only primate found in the Sanctuary.
Q) Which of the following statements with reference to Jaisamand Wildlife Sanctuary is/are correct?
1. Common Langur is the only primate found in the Sanctuary.
2. The tree species are representative of dry deciduous forests, and scrub forests.
3. Jaisamand Lake is largest artificial fresh water lake in India.
a. 1 and 2
b. 2 and 3
c. 1 and 3
d. 1, 2 and 3
Correct Answer: a