Copyright infringement not intended
Context - The Prime Minister of India has launched a global initiative ‘Lifestyle for the Environment - LiFE Movement’.
- Prime Minister has launched ‘Lifestyle for the Environment - LiFE Movement’ on 5th June 2022 via video conferencing.
- The programme witnessed the participation of Mr Bill Gates, CEO and President of World Resources Institute, UNEP Global Head, World Bank President, etc.
- The idea of LiFE was introduced by the Prime Minister of India during the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow.
- The core idea is to promote an environmentally aware lifestyle that concentrates on 'mindful and deliberate utilization' instead of 'mindless and destructive consumption.
- The initiative is an open platform that invites ideas and suggestions from academics, universities and research institutions etc.
- The main objective of the initiative is to influence and persuade individuals, communities and organizations across the world to adopt an environment-conscious lifestyle.
The key points of the Prime Minister's Speech
- Prime Minister underlined the necessity of the time is to solve the challenge faced by our planet using human-centric, coordinated efforts and strong actions that promote sustainable development.
- India’s forest cover is increasing and the population of lions, tigers, leopards, elephants and rhinos are also increasing.
- India’s commitment to reach 40% of installed electric capacity from non-fossil fuel-based sources has been accomplished, 9 years earlier than scheduled.
- The target of 10% ethanol blending in petrol has been completed 5 months early than the November 2022 target.
- Renewable energy has a very high focus in the government.
- Need to follow the principle of reuse, reduce and recycle.
- Prime Minister concluded that India stands ready to support any effort for a better environment and to further global wellness. Our track record speaks for itself.