10th June, 2022 Environment
Copyright infringement not intended
- Thailand became the first country in Asia to decriminalise cannabis. However, tough penalties will still apply to those who use the drug to get high.
- Thailand will promote cannabis policies for medical purposes.
- Thai cannabis industry will generate billions of dollars in income by boosting agriculture (the value of the industry to easily exceed $2 billion dollars).
- Thailand is one of the best places to grow cannabis plants.
- Marijuana (or hemp), is part of the cannabis super-family
- Uttarakhand, Jammu and Uttar Pradesh have allowed restricted cultivation of the plant for medical research.
- The Marijuana has two components CBD (cannabidiol) and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). It is THC which is the primary psychoactive component of Marijuana.
- The NDPS Act 1985 bans the commercial cultivation of cannabis.
Why Marijuana Should Be Legalized?
- Legalisation will curb crime
- Cultural and Historical Significance: In the Atharva-veda, the ‘bhang’ plant finds a notable mention as one of nature’s five sacred, distress-relieving plants. During the festival of Holi, the consumption of bhang is an integral part of the celebrations even today.
- Less Health Risk when compared to Alcohol
- Business and Economic Possibilities
Why Marijuana Should Remain Illegal?
- Marijuana Causes Psychosis
- Cannabis has been engineered to become much more potent an addictive.
- Marijuana damages organs