24th November, 2022 Health
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- Mumbai recorded 13 new cases of measles and one death related to the infection.
- Measles is a highly contagious infectious disease caused by measles virus.
- It mostly affects children. It is one of the leading causes of death and disability among young children.
- Initial symptoms typically include fever, cough, runny nose, and inflamed eyes.Small white spots known as Koplik's spotsmay form inside the mouth two or three days after the start of symptoms.
- Common complications include diarrhea, middle ear infection, and pneumonia.
- Less commonly seizures, blindness, or inflammation of the brain may occur.
- Measles is an airborne disease that spreads easily by coughing and sneezing, close personal contact or direct contact with infected nasal or throat secretions.
- The measles vaccine is effective at preventing the disease.
- There is no specific treatment for measlesbut there is a vaccine to stay protected from the disease, which is both safe as well as cost effective.
- Treatment includes providing comfort measures to relieve symptoms, such as rest, and medications like antibiotics, fever reducers and Vitamin A.