23rd May, 2023 Geography
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement intended.
- Europe’s most active volcano Mount Etna erupted May 21, 2023, forcing flights from eastern Sicily’s largest city Catania to be grounded due to a lack of visibility.
- Mount Etna, is an active stratovolcano on the east coast of Sicily, Italy, in the Metropolitan City of Catania, between the cities of Messina and Catania.
- It lies above the convergent plate margin between the African Plate and the Eurasian Plate.
- It is one of the tallest active volcanoes in Europe.
- Etna has also produced pyroclastic flows, ashfalls, and mudflows, but the lava flows are the most immediately hazardous type of activity, especially to the city of Catania.
- The volcano has been erupting for the past 500,000 years and is one of the most studied volcanos in the world.
TYPES OF VOLCANOES: https://www.iasgyan.in/blogs/types-of-volcano
PRELIMS PRACTICE QUESTION
Q. Match the following:
1. Mount Etna a. Phillippines
2. Eyjafjallajökull b. Equador
3. Mount Mayon c. Italy
4. Cotopaxi d. Iceland
A. 1-a, 2-d, 3-c, 4-a
B. 1-c, 2-a, 3-d, 4-b
C. 1-c, 2-d, 3-a, 4-b
D. 1-c, 2-a, 3-b, 4-d