13th March, 2023 Security
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
Context: Norway has announced its plans to provide Ukraine with two NASAMS firing units in collaboration with the United States.
- NASAMS stands for National/Norwegian Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile System.
- It is a medium-to long-range air defense system that was developed jointly by the Norwegian company Kongsberg Defense & Aerospace and the American company Raytheon.
- The system is used to protect critical infrastructure and military installations against airborne threats, such as fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), and cruise missiles.
- The NASAMS system is designed to be highly mobile and flexible, and it can be deployed in a variety of different configurations to suit different operational requirements.
- The system consists of a command and control unit, a number of truck-mounted launchers, and various types of missiles.
- The command and control unit is responsible for managing the entire system, including target acquisition, tracking, and engagement.
- The launcher units are equipped with canisters that hold up to six missiles each, and they can be configured with a mix of different missile types, depending on the specific operational requirements.
Q) Which of the following statements is/are correct with reference to NASAMS?
a. It is a medium-to long-range air defense system.
b. It has been developed jointly by Ukraine and US.
Answer: Option 1