National Mission on Cultural Mapping (NMCM) and Mera Gaon, Meri Dharohar (MGMD)
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- The Government of India has decided to map and document all villages under Mera Gaon, Meri Dharohar (MGMD) of National Mission on Cultural Mapping
National Mission on Cultural Mapping (NMCM)
- In 2017, the Ministry of Culture sanctioned the NMCM to construct a comprehensive database encompassing artists, various art forms, and additional resources from organizations falling under its purview.
- This National Mission on Cultural Mapping is conducted in coordination with Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) under the Ministry of Culture.
- Establishment of the National Mission on Cultural Mapping (NMCM) by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- Aim to identify and document India's cultural heritage to regenerate rural economies and promote self-reliance in Village India.
- Focus on creating National Directories of artists and living human treasures, Digital Inventories of art expression, and policies for preservation and welfare schemes.
- Preserve rich Indian Art and Cultural Heritage.
- Create a national database through Cultural Mapping via ground surveys and documentation.
- Address the aspirations of the artist community.
- Safeguard and disseminate cultural heritage for future generations.
- Enhance cultural vibrancy via digital platforms and outreach activities.
- Cultural mapping of art traditions and practices.
- Raise awareness about cultural strengths and develop an interface between culture and identity.
- Provide a platform for knowledge dissemination and welfare schemes.
- Carried out through three interlinked programs.
Three Interlinked Programmes:
- Sanskritik Pratibha Khoj: Awareness campaign, talent hunt, and revitalization of folk and tribal heritage.
- Hamari Sanskriti Hamari Pahchan Abhiyan: Cultural mapping and identification of artists and craftspeople.
- National Cultural Workplace (NCWP): Interactive portal for artists, craftspeople, and cultural service providers.
Mera Gaon Meri Dharohar (MGMD):
- Mera Gaon Meri Dharohar (MGMD) is a nationwide initiative led by the Ministry of Culture as part of the National Mission on Cultural Mapping, inaugurated on July 27th, 2023.
- Objective: The primary aim of this endeavour is to culturally map all 6.5 lakh villages across 29 States and 7 Union Territories of India onto a comprehensive virtual platform. Through MGMD, individuals will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in India's rich and diverse cultural heritage. The fundamental concept behind this initiative is to foster appreciation for the country's culture and traditions, thereby fostering economic growth, social cohesion, and artistic advancement within rural communities.
- MGMD Portal: The cultural mapping of India's 6.5 lakh villages is accessible through a dedicated virtual platform - https://mgmd.gov.in/. This inclusive portal presents vital information about each village, including its geographic location, demographic details, and descriptions of traditional attire, ornaments, arts, crafts, temples, festivals, and much more. It acts as a centralized hub for discovering, exploring, researching, and virtually visiting every village in the nation. Furthermore, users have the opportunity to earn incentives and takeaways as they embark on their digital village explorations.
Under MGMD, information is gathered across seven broad categories, encompassing:
- Arts and Crafts Village
- Ecologically Oriented Village
- Scholastic Village linked with Textual and Scriptural Traditions of India
- Epic Village associated with Ramayana, Mahabharata, and/or Puranic legends and oral epics
- Historical Village connected with Local and National History
- Architectural Heritage Village
- Any other distinctive characteristic warranting attention, such as fishing villages, horticultural villages, shepherding villages, etc.
Sanskritik Pratibha Khoj:
- Aims to launch an awareness campaign and talent hunt.
- Organizes competitions, seminars, workshops, exhibitions.
- Prepares National Registers of Artists and Art Forms.
- Branding and ranking of artists with a Unique Identification Code.
Q. Discuss the objectives and significance of the National Mission on Cultural Mapping (NMCM) in preserving and promoting India's cultural heritage. Highlight its role in documenting diverse cultural traditions and fostering socio-economic development in rural areas.