NATIONAL PRESS DAY
16th November, 2022 Polity and Governance
Copyright infringement not intended
- National Press Day is celebrated every year on 16th November to mark the foundation day of the Press Council of India.
- The Press Council of India functions as a moral watchdog to ensure that the press maintains high standards.
Press Council of India
- The Press Council of India was established by the Parliament in 1966.
- It was established on the recommendations of the First Press Commission.
- The main objective of the council is to maintain the freedom of the press and improve the standards of the press in India.
- It is the self-regulatory body under the Press Council Act of 1978.
- Traditionally, a retired Supreme Court judge is appointed as the Chairman of the Council.
- There are 28 additional members in the council;
- 20 members of media, nominated by the newspapers, television channels and other media platforms operating in India.
- 5 members from the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
- 3 members as nominees of Sahitya Academy, University Grant Commission and Bar Council of India.
- The Council accepts complaints against matters related to journalists or media organizations.
- The Council can investigate and issue a report.
- It also can "warn, criticize, or censure" those it finds at fault, but the council has no powers to enforce or impose any penalty on individual journalists and media publications.