NATIONAL PRODUCTIVITY COUNCIL
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: The National Productivity Council (NPC) to conducts seven major field studies under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY).
The field Studies would be undertaken in seven areas
- Best practices in the fish marketing system of Andhra Pradesh and dissemination through the workshop.
- Agro-climatic zone-specific mapping of innovative fishing Practices for enhancing Production and Productivity in the Upper Gangetic Plain Region.
- Design improvement in storage containers used in the supply chain for inland and marine fish by vendors.
- Improvement in fish marketing infrastructure of Ghazipur and Howrah fish markets.
- Evaluation of Biofloc technologies and their dissemination through the workshop.
- Strengthen the monitoring mechanism of implementation of PMMSY.
- Assessment of post-harvest losses in inland and marine fisheries and suggest measures to minimise these losses.
National Productivity Council (NPC)
- It is an autonomous organization under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- NPC was established in 1958 as a registered society to promote productivity culture in India.
Vision and Mission
- To be a national leader in enhancing productivity for inclusive and sustainable development.
- To provide innovative solutions for improving productivity and competitiveness through an integrated approach of consultancy, training and research.
- NPC's core values are excellence, integrity, customer focus, teamwork and social responsibility.
- NPC strives to uphold these values in all its activities and interactions.
- It provides consultancy, training, research and evaluation services to various sectors of the economy, both public and private.
- It offers customized solutions to address the specific needs and challenges of its clients.
- It has expertise in areas such as lean manufacturing, total quality management, energy audit, environmental management, industrial safety and health, agri-business, e-governance and digital transformation.
- It acts as a catalyst for disseminating productivity-related information and best practices among stakeholders.
- It organizes seminars, workshops, conferences and exhibitions on various productivity themes and issues.
- It publishes journals, newsletters, reports and case studies to share its knowledge and experience.
- NPC has a network of 12 regional offices and five specialized centres across the country, covering diverse areas such as agriculture, energy, environment, industrial engineering, quality management and human resource development.
- NPC also collaborates with national and international organizations such as International Labour Organization (ILO), Asian Development Bank (ADB), World Bank, etc.
Must Read Articles:
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY): https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/pradhan-mantri-matsya-sampada-yojna
Q. What is the significance of Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) for the fisheries sector in India? How does it address the challenges faced by the sector, such as low productivity, post-harvest losses, quality issues, and market access? What are the ways forward to ensure the effective implementation and monitoring of the scheme?