NATIONAL STRATEGY AND ROADMAP FOR MEDICAL AND WELLNESS TOURISM
Copyright infringement not intended
- The Union Minister of Tourism has stated in the Lok Sabha that the recently released National Strategy and Roadmap for Medical and Wellness Tourism aim to develop India as a wellness destination.
- The Minister highlighted the value of medical travel and wellness tourism.
- This sector has the potential of accelerating the country’s development.
National Strategy and Roadmap for Medical and Wellness Tourism
- The Ministry of Tourism has drafted a National Strategy and Roadmap for Medical and Wellness Tourism.
- The draft focuses on:
- Develop India as a wellness destination.
- Strengthen the ecosystem for medical and wellness tourism.
- Enable digitalization by setting up an Online Medical Value Travel (MVT) Portal.
- Enhancement of accessibility for Medical Value Travel.
- Promoting Wellness Tourism.
- Governance and Institutional Framework.
Importance of the Tourism Sector
- Tourism is a big employment generator.
- Foreign tourists' arrival brings Foreign Currency.
- Livelihood to local Population and revenue to the Government.
- Positive Impact on Education, Culture, Textiles, Development of North-East India, Rural Development.
- Promote Socio-economic growth and Poverty Reduction.
- Promotes Inclusive Growth, and Environmental Protection.
- Protects Cultural Values, Diversity, and Heritage.
- Tourism Sector development often results in improvements in basic infrastructure.
- Lack of basic infrastructure like roads and Providing Clean, Comfortable accommodation to tourists.
- Safety Concerns
Steps taken to Promote Tourism
- The Ministry has constituted a National Medical and Wellness Tourism Board.
- The Ministry has released global print, electronic and online media campaigns in important and potential markets overseas, under the ‘Incredible India’ brand-line, to promote various tourism destinations and products of the country.
- Promotions through the Social Media accounts of the Ministry on different themes including the theme of Medical Tourism.
- 'Medical Visa’ has been introduced, which can be given for specific purposes to foreign travellers coming to India for medical treatment.
- To promote Medical Tourism in the country, the Union Government extended the e-medical visa facility to the nationals of 156 countries.
- Launched e-ticketing of Historical monuments like the Taj Mahal.
- Introduction of dedicated tourist trains across India and a 24x7 tourist helpline.
- Ministry of Tourism adopted the Code of Conduct for Safe tourism.
- Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat
- Special Tourism Zone in Partnership with the States.
- Swacch Bharat Abhiyan under which the tourist destinations are kept Clean.
- Adarsh Smaarak Scheme by Archaeological Survey of India to promote basic tourist facilities in well-known historical sites.
- Swadesh Darshan Scheme for integrated development of theme-based tourist Circuits.
- PRASHAD Scheme to beautify and improve amenities and infrastructure at Pilgrimage Sites.
- Launching of Incredible India 2.0 Campaigns.
- Generating sufficient manpower to meet the requirements of the tourism and hospitality industry.
- Launching 24x7 toll-free Multi-Lingual Tourist Helpline.