NATIONAL TECHNOLOGY DAY
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- National Technology Day is celebrated every year on May 11.
- Every year since 1999, the Technology Development Board (TDB) commemorates the day by honouring technological innovations that have added to national growth.
- On this day, different government organisations, institutes, schools, and colleges hold programmes in honour of India's scientists and their achievements.
- Under the leadership of the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, India conducted a series of five nuclear bomb tests (Pokhran-II) in May 1998. Following the success of Pokhran-II, the government declared May 11 as National Technology Day in 1998.
- The first Nuclear test was conducted in May 1974.
- In 1998, India became the world's sixth nuclear test. The country was put under heavy sanctions by the US government following the nuclear test. However, India didn't back down under the influence of western powers and went ahead with the test.
- Since then, May 11 is being celebrated as National Technology Day to acknowledge the contribution of scientists and engineers in the development of the country.
- The National Technology Day has a different theme every year. For 2023, the theme is 'School to Startups-Igniting Young Minds to Innovate.'
- India is one of the fastest developing nations in the world, and much of the credit goes to technological advancement.
- In the 21st century, scientists and engineers are leading the country on the path of development. India has witnessed a significant development in science and research in the last three decades. It is the technology that has improved the status of the country on global platforms.
- National Technology Day is a reminder to the world about India's growing power in the field of science and technology, particularly in the development of nuclear technology.
- The day also serves as an opportunity to honour scientists and engineers who have made contributions to the nation's development.
- The primary objective of National Technology Day is to promote scientific temper and inspire the younger generation to pursue careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields. It serves as an occasion to raise awareness about the importance of technology in addressing societal challenges and fostering economic growth.
- The significance of National Technology Day extends beyond nuclear technology. It also highlights advancements made in diverse domains such as information technology, biotechnology, aerospace, telecommunications, agriculture, healthcare, and manufacturing.
- India has emerged as a global hub for technological innovation, and this day serves as a reminder of the country's potential to become a leader in scientific research and development.
- Moreover, National Technology Day encourages collaborations and partnerships between academia, industry, and the government.
- It provides an opportunity for scientists, researchers, and innovators to share their breakthroughs, exchange knowledge, and collaborate on future projects.
- The celebration of National Technology Day also highlights the government's commitment to supporting and encouraging research and development in the country. It reinforces the importance of investing in science and technology to drive economic growth, enhance national security, and improve the quality of life for citizens.
Q. National Technology Day is a reminder to the world about India's growing power in the field of science and technology. Shed light on the history and significance of National Technology Day.