24th November, 2022 Polity and Governance
Copyright infringement not intended
- The National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA), celebrated the Diamond Jubilee anniversary of its establishment.
- The Institute was established by the erstwhile Ministry of Human Resource Development (now Ministry of Education), it is a premier organization dealing with capacity building and research in the planning and management of education not only in India but also in South Asia.
- The National Institute has its origin dating back to 1962 when the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) established the Asian Regional Centre for Educational Planners and Administrators which later became the Asian Institute of Educational Planning and Administration in 1965.
- After 4 years, it was taken over by the Government of India and renamed the National Staff College for Educational Planners and Administrators. Subsequently, with the increased roles and functions of the National Staff College, particularly in capacity building, research and professional support services to governments, it was again renamed as the National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) in 1979.
- In 2006, NIEPA was given the status of a “Deemed-to-be University”.
- The ‘Deemed to be University’ status allow the institute to offer its graduate, post-graduate and doctoral degrees and have autonomy in terms of the introduction of programmes, course structure, conducting examinations and management, among others.