23rd June, 2022 Economy
Copyright infringement not intended
- During a review meeting on the “Purple Revolution”, the Union Government stated that the revolution has encouraged Agri-tech StartUps.
- Shifting to lavender cultivation is being called the purple revolution. It was initiated under Aroma Mission.
- The aroma crop ensures high monetary returns, and therefore many farmers in hilly areas of Jammu and Kashmir are switching from traditional crops to aroma crops like lavender.
- The aroma crops are both drought and pest-resistant.
- The Government has also informed that they are planning to introduce the aroma crops in other hilly States with similar climatic conditions like Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and the North-Eastern States.
- Aromatic plants are used as natural medicines because of their medical properties. Aromatic Plants include lavender, damask rose, etc.
- Aromatic plants are mainly used for oil extraction that is used in various industries: Cosmetics, Pesticides, flavouring and fragrance, Insect repellents and herbal beverages.
- The Aroma Mission was started to promote the cultivation of aromatic crops.
- The twin aim of the mission is to increase production to meet domestic demand and also to become a global leader in production and export.
- Technical support from CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CSIR-CIMAP), Lucknow.
- Government to Promote cooperatives for marketing activities, promotion of cultivation and processing of high-value aromatic plants, development of agro technologies, setting up of processing facilities, promoting Skill development, infrastructure support, Credit facilities, etc.
The expected outcome of the Mission:
- Bring about an additional area of 5500 ha under aromatic crop cultivation.
- Promoting aromatic crops in rain-fed/degraded land across the country.
- Enhance technical and infrastructural support to farmers/growers all over the country.
- Promote market buy-back mechanisms to ensure profitable prices for the farmers/growers.
- This mission also aims to promote Job Creation, Rural Development, and Women empowerment.
- It will generate employment, open research opportunities and promote development for the region.
- Lavender Cultivation has the potential to double farmers' income.
- By increasing aromatic crop production, India could take a big step towards achieving the goal of ‘Atmanirbhara Bharat’.