SAFAIMITRA SURAKSHIT SHEHAR
18th August, 2022 POLITY AND GOVERNANCE
Copyright infringement not intended
- The Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has announced that 500 cities across India have declared themselves as ‘SafaiMitra Surakshit Shehar’.
- These cities have achieved adequacy in terms of institutional capacity, manpower and equipment norms as specified by MoHUA and are providing safe working conditions for SafaiMitras.
- The ‘SafaiMitra Surakshit Shehar’ are also promoting sustainable sanitation practices and acting as a catalyst for the transformation of every ‘manhole’ into a ‘machine hole’.
- To provide momentum to the ongoing efforts toward mechanization and safety of workers, the government has launched the ‘NAMASTE’ (National Action for Mechanized Sanitation Ecosystem) Scheme.
- The Union Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs has announced the ‘NAMASTE scheme’ for cleaning sewers and septic tanks.
- NAMASTE (National Action Plan for Mechanized Sanitation Ecosystem) Scheme is a joint venture between;
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The main objective of the scheme is to ensure;
- Zero fatalities in sanitation work in India.
- No sanitation workers come in direct contact with human faecal matter.
- All Sewer and Septic tank sanitation workers have access to alternative livelihoods.
- The Ministry has announced that;
- They have shortlisted the types of machinery and core equipment required for maintenance works and Safety gear for Safai Mitras.
- Skill Development and training of Safai Mitras to be conducted with the help of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment through the National Safai Karamchari Finance Development Corporation.