13th September, 2021 Culture and Heritage
Disclaimer: No Copyright infringement intended.
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has greeted the people on the occasion of Samvatsari.
- Saṃvatsarī is the last day of Paryushana Shwetambar sect of Jainism.
- On this day, Jains forgive and seek forgiveness for their mistakes committed knowingly or unknowingly from all the living beings.
- A yearly, elaborate penitential retreat called "samvatsari pratikramana" is performed on this day.
- After the pratikramana, Jains seek forgiveness from all the creatures of the world, including friends and relatives by uttering the phrase — Micchami Dukkadam or its variants like "Khamau Sa", "Uttam Kshama" or "Khamat Khamna".
- While Samvatsari and Kshamavaani are typically associated with Shwetambar sect and Digambara respectively, there is no major difference between the two days and both are observed as Forgiveness Days.