SANGEET NATAK AKADEMI AWARDS
Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: www.sangeetnatak.gov.in
Context: The Vice President of India presented the Sangeet Natak Akademi Amrit Awards to 84 artists in various fields of performing arts. These awards were created to honour Indian artists who are aged above 75 years and have not received any national honours during their careers. The awards are a national recognition for performing artists, teachers, and scholars in the performing arts field.
- The recipients of these awards are selected by the Sangeet Natak Akademi's General Council, which includes distinguished musicians, dancers, theatre artists, and scholars, as well as nominees from the Government of India, State Governments, and Union Territories.
- Each award carries a purse of Rs. 1,00,000/- (Rupees one lakh), along with a Tamrapatra and Angavastram.
- Some notable awardees include:
- Raghubir Malik and Dina Nath Mishra for Hindustani vocal music.
- Gowri Kuppuswamy and Anasuya Kulkarni for Carnatic vocal music.
- Lalitha Srinivasan and Vilasini Devi Krishnapillai for the Bharatnatyam dance.
- Smita Shastri and Kumkum Lal for Kuchipudi and Odissi dance forms, respectively.
- A total of 84 artists received the award at the ceremony, including 70 men and 14 women.
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi also organized a four-day festival from September 16 to 20 at the Akademi complex featuring the recipients of the awards, providing a platform for these talented artists to showcase their skills and contributions to Indian arts and culture
Sangeet Natak Akademi
- Sangeet Natak Akademi plays a pivotal role in nurturing and promoting India's diverse performing arts heritage and recognizing the talent and contributions of artists in this field.
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi, also known as the National Academy of Music, Dance, and Drama, is an autonomous organization in India that was established in 1952.
- It is one of the key institutions responsible for promoting and preserving the traditional and contemporary performing arts of India. The Akademi operates under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India, and its headquarters are located in New Delhi.
Key objectives of the Sangeet Natak Akademi
- Preservation and Promotion: The Akademi works to preserve and promote various forms of performing arts in India. This includes classical music, classical dance, folk and tribal arts, theatre, puppetry, and other traditional and contemporary forms of expression.
- Recognition and Awards: One of the significant functions of the Sangeet Natak Akademi is to recognize and honour outstanding artists, scholars, and organizations in the field of performing arts through its prestigious awards. These awards include the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, which is one of the highest honours an artist can receive in India.
- Research and Documentation: The Akademi is involved in the research and documentation of various art forms to create a comprehensive repository of knowledge and resources related to Indian performing arts. This helps in the preservation and dissemination of these art forms.
- Training and Education: The Sangeet Natak Akademi also supports training and education programs for aspiring artists and scholars. It conducts workshops, seminars, and training programs to enhance the skills and knowledge of individuals in the field of performing arts.
- Publications and Festivals: The Akademi publishes books, journals, and other materials related to performing arts. It also organizes various cultural festivals and events to showcase the rich diversity of Indian performing arts to a wider audience.
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi plays a crucial role in promoting and nurturing the cultural heritage of India by supporting and recognizing the contributions of artists and scholars in the fields of music, dance, and drama. It is a key institution that contributes to the preservation and propagation of India's artistic traditions.
Must Read Articles:
Sangeet Natak Akademi And Lalit Kala Akademi: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/sangeet-natak-akademi-and-lalit-kala-akademi
Q. What are the primary objectives and functions of the Sangeet Natak Akademi, and how does it contribute to the preservation and promotion of the country's performing arts heritage?