Copyright infringement not intended
Picture Courtesy: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/researchers-identify-new-species-of-burrowing-frog-in-urban-bengaluru/article67795686.ece
Context: The discovery of a new species of burrowing frog, Sphaerotheca varshaabhu, in Bengaluru, is a significant milestone in biodiversity research.
Key points regarding this discovery
Discovery of Sphaerotheca varshaabhu
- Researchers from various national and international organizations identified and documented the previously unknown species of frog thriving in the urban landscape of Bengaluru.
- The discovery challenges preconceptions about where new species can be found and highlights the resilience of wildlife in unexpected urban ecosystems.
- Sphaerotheca varshaabhu exhibits distinctive characteristics that set it apart from known frog species.
- It is named after its behaviour of coming out of burrows during early showers, indicating its adaptation to urban surroundings.
Adaptation to Urban Environment
- Sphaerotheca varshaabhu has adapted to its urban surroundings, displaying behaviours and physical attributes that help it navigate the challenges posed by urbanization.
- This adaptation underscores the need for continued exploration of urban ecosystems and the preservation of biodiversity in areas heavily impacted by human activities.
Role of Urban Green Spaces
- Researchers are still exploring the role of urban and peri-urban green locales in supporting biodiversity.
- The discovery of Sphaerotheca varshaabhu provides insight into how larger spaces and water bodies in urban areas could conserve species diversity.
- The discovery of Sphaerotheca varshaabhu underscores the importance of biodiversity research in urban environments and highlights the need for conservation efforts to protect wildlife in these areas.
Q. Why is Sphaerotheca varshaabhu in the news?
A) It is a newly discovered species of butterfly.
B) It is a rare plant species found in the Amazon rainforest.
C) It is a previously unknown species of frog discovered in urban Bengaluru.
D) It is an endangered species of mammal found in the Arctic.
Sphaerotheca varshaabhu is in the news because it represents a newly discovered species of frog thriving in the urban landscape of Bengaluru. The discovery is considered significant in biodiversity research as it challenges preconceptions about where new species can be found and highlights the resilience of wildlife in unexpected urban ecosystems.