12th September, 2022 Security
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: Taragiri, a Project 17A Frigate was launched at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai
- ‘Taragiri’, named after a hill range in Himalayas located at Garhwal, is the fifth ship of Project 17A Frigates.
- These ships are advanced version of the P17 Frigates (Shivalik Class) with improved stealth features, state of the art weapons and sensors and platform management systems.
- ‘Taragiri’ is the reincarnation of erstwhile ‘Taragiri’, the Leander Class ASW Frigate, which saw numerous challenging operations in its illustrious service to the nation spanning over three decades from 16 May 1980 to 27 Jun 2013.
- Under the P17A program, a total of seven ships, with 04 at MDL and 03 at GRSE are under construction. Four P17A Project ships (two each at MDL and GRSE) have been launched so far between 2019 and 2022.
- P17A ships have been designed in-house by Indian Navy’s Warship Design Bureau which is the pioneer organization for all warship design activities of the Nation.
- Towing the line of the country’s unwavering efforts towards ‘AatmaNirbharata’, 75% of the orders for equipment & system of Project 17A ships are being placed on indigenous firms including MSMEs.