WORLD METROLOGY DAY
Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
- CSIR-National Physical Laboratory, organized and celebrated the World Metrology Day (WMD) 2023 on 19th May 2023 in association with the Metrology Society of India (MSI).
The International Bureau of Weight and Measures states that:
“Metrology is the science of measurement, embracing both experimental and theoretical determinations at any level of uncertainty in any field of science and technology.” Metrology is surely at the core of all practical scientific endeavours.
Purpose of Metrology
- The purpose is to provide accurate and reliable measurements for trade, health, safety, and the environment.
- Administration of legal metrology activities are performed by or with oversight from governments to provide the appropriate level of reliability and credibility.
World Metrology Day
- World Metrology Day is an annual celebration commemorating the signature of the Metre Convention which was held on 20th May 1875 by representatives of seventeen nations.
- Seventeen nations, namely Austria-Hungary, Brazil, Argentina, France, Peru, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Norway, the then Ottoman Empire, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, the United States and Venezuela, signed the Metre Convention on May 20, 1875.
- The Convention set the framework for global collaboration in the science of measurement and in its industrial, commercial and societal applications.
- The original aim of the Metre Convention - the worldwide uniformity of measurement - remains as important today as it was in 1875.
- The Metre Convention is geared towards creating a global uniformity on units of measurement.
- World Metrology Day was approved in October 1999 at the 21st General Conference on Weights (CGPM). This is when May 20 was decided upon for the annual celebration of metrology.
- It is jointly organized by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) and the International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML).
- This year the theme of WMD is “Measurements supporting the global food system” .
- This theme was chosen because of the increasing challenges of climate change, and global distribution of food in a world whose population reached 8 billion at the end of 2022.
World Metrology Day Significance
- Metrology plays a crucial role in various sectors, including science, industry, trade, and consumer protection.
- Accurate and reliable measurements are essential for ensuring fairness in commercial transactions, promoting safety and quality in products and services, and facilitating scientific research and innovation.
- World Metrology Day serves as a platform to highlight the significance of metrology in these areas and emphasise its contribution to global development.
Q. Consider the following statements:
1. World Metrology Day is an annual celebration commemorating the signature of the Metre Convention.
2. It is jointly organized by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) and the International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML).
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Correct Answer: (d) Neither 1 nor 2.