Zonal Cultural Centres
14th December, 2022 Art & Culture
Copyright infringement not intended
Context: The Union Culture Ministry has set up seven Zonal Cultural Centres (ZCCs) across the country for conservation and development of art, culture and crafts across the country.
- Ministry of Culture has set up seven Zonal Cultural Centres (ZCCs) with headquarters at Patiala, Nagpur, Udaipur, Prayagraj, Kolkata, Dimapur and Thanjavur.
- These centers aim to conserve and develop art, culture and crafts across the country.
- The government provides regular annual grant-in-aid for conducting various activities and programmes to ZCCs. However, no State and Union Territory wise funds are released by the Ministry for the purpose.
- The ministry also organises Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsavs (RSMs) through these ZCCs where a large number of artistes from all over India are engaged to showcase their talents.
- These ZCCs also organise a minimum 42 Regional Festivals for promotion of art and culture every year as per their programme calendar.
- For proper storage of the treasure of knowledge for posterity, several art forms including the vanishing ones are being documented by these ZCCs.
- Further, for preservation and promotion of various folk arts & culture of the country, these ZCCs also implement a number of schemes viz. Award to Young Talented Artists, Guru Shishya Parampara, Theatre Rejuvenation, Research and Documentation, Shilpgram, OCTAVE and National Cultural Exchange Programme.