25th November, 2021 Science and Technology
Copyright infringement not intended.
- Union Cabinet approved continuation of the umbrella scheme “Atmosphere & Climate Research-Modelling Observing Systems & Services (ACROSS)” along with its eight sub-schemes to the next finance cycle of five years i.e. 2021-2026 at an estimated cost of Rs.2,135 crore.
- The scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) through its units namely India Meteorological Department (IMD), National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF); Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) and Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS).
- ACROSS scheme pertains to the atmospheric science programs of Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) and addresses different aspects of weather and climate services.
- Each of these aspects is incorporated as eight sub-schemes under the umbrella scheme “ACROSS” and is implemented in an integrated manner through the aforesaid four institutes.
The eight sub-schemes under the ACROSS scheme are:
- Commissioning of Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radars (DWRs)-IMD
- Upgradation of Forecast System-IMD
- Weather & Climate Services-IMD
- Atmospheric Observations Network-1 MD
- Numerical Modelling of Weather and Climate -NCMRWF
- Monsoon Mission III- IITM/NCMRWF/INCOIS/IMD
- Monsoon Convection, Clouds and Climate Change (MC4)- IITM/NCMRWF/IMD
- High Performance Computing System (HPCS)-IITM/NCMRWF