Curriculum and Credit Framework for the Undergraduate Programme (CCFUGP)
10th December, 2022 Polity and Governance
Copyright infringement not intended
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) is soon to announce a new credit and curriculum framework for undergraduate programmes (CCFUGP) on “understanding India”, modern Indian languages and yoga.
- Through the CCFUGP, the UGC aims to implement the recommendations in the National Education Policy (NEP), 2020 for making higher education multi-disciplinary.
- The curriculum prescribed by the UGC consists of major stream courses, minor stream courses along with modern Indian language and English language, skill enhancement courses and value-added courses.
- Students will have flexible degree options with single or double majors.
- Learners can move from one institution to another, and can also switch to alternative modes of learning such as open and distance learning, online learning or hybrid mode.
- The document on the CCFUGP is to be made public next week.
University Grants Commission (UGC)
- University Grants Commission is a statutory body under the University Grants Commission Act, of 1956.
- UGC is charged with the task of coordinating and maintaining standards of higher education in India.
- It provides recognition to universities and also allocates funds to universities and colleges.
- UGC headquarters are in New Delhi, and it also has 6 regional centres.
- All grants to universities and higher learning institutions are handled by the UGC.
- In 2015-16, the Union government initiated a National Institutional Ranking Framework under UGC to rank all educational institutes.
- UGC also conducts the National Eligibility Test (NET) for the appointments of teachers in colleges and universities.
- M Jagadesh Kumar is the current chairman of the UGC.
Must Read: https://www.iasgyan.in/daily-current-affairs/national-education-policy-nep-2020#:~:text=NEP%202020%20will%20replace%20the,3%2B3%2B4).