F-16 FIGHTER AIRCRAFT
15th September, 2022 Security
Copyright infringement not intended
- India has raised concern over the United States (US) approval of a $450-million package for Pakistan’s F-16 fighter fleet.
- The Union Defense Minister highlighted the issue during a telephonic conversation with the U.S. Secretary of Defense.
- This is the first official response from India on this issue.
- The F-16 Fighting Aircraft is a single-engine multi-role fighter aircraft developed by General Dynamics for the United States Air Force (USAF).
- Designed as an all-weather multirole aircraft.
- Aircraft production was approved in 1976.
- Now no longer being purchased by the U.S. Air Force.
- It’s mproved versions are being built for export.
- The Key features include;
- A frameless bubble canopy for good visibility.
- A side-mounted control sticks to ease control while maneuvering.
- An ejection seat reclined 30 degrees from vertical to reduce the effect of g-forces on the pilot.
- Relaxed static stability/fly-by-wire flight control system that helps to make it an agile aircraft.
- It has an internal M61 Vulcan cannon and 11 locations for mounting weapons and other mission equipment.