JAL JEEVAN MISSION
4th October, 2021 Society
Figure 2: No Copyright Infringement Intended
- Government has launched the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) mobile application, seeking top leverage the technological advancements to ensure that villages and rural households get access to clean drinking water.
About Mobile Application:
- the mobile application will provide details of water infrastructure, an Aadhaar-verified data set of beneficiaries, and water quality and contamination-related information for each village.
- The information will be available to users on a public forum alongside specific data for each village, district and state-level bodies concerning water.
Role of technology in powering Jal jeevan mission:
- Apart from the mobile application, the government has also put in place Internet of Things (IoT)-based sensors, flow meters and water-quality detection kits to achieve cost-effective solutions for providing clean tap water to every rural household in the country by 2024.
- The Jal Shakti ministry has been maintaining a JJM dashboard to show the coverage of tap water connections across states.
- The water quality management information system provides details of water samples received and tested across labs and states.
- The mobile app will bring all this data under one umbrella.
- Sensors not just monitors the flow of water in the pipelines, but also checks for turbidity and chlorination in water.
- Jal Jeevan Mission is envisioned to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections by 2024 to all households in rural India.
- The programme will also implement source sustainability measures as mandatory elements, such as recharge and reuse through grey water management, water conservation, rain water harvesting.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission will be based on a community approach to water and will include extensive Information, Education and communication as a key componentof the mission.
- JJM looks to create a jan andolan for water, thereby making it everyone’s priority.
- To provide FHTC to every rural household.
- To prioritize provision of FHTCs in quality a ected areas, villages in drought prone and desert areas, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) villages, etc.
- To provide functional tap connection to Schools, Anganwadi centres, GP buildings, Health centres, wellness centres and community buildings
- To monitor functionality of tap connections.
- To promote and ensure voluntary ownership among local community by way of contribution in cash, kind and/ or labour and voluntary labour (shramdaan)
- To assist in ensuring sustainability of water supply system, i.e. water source, water supply infrastructure, and funds for regular O&M
- To empower and develop human resource in the sector such that the demands of construction, plumbing, electrical, water quality management, water treatment, catchment protection, O&M, etc. are taken care of in short and long term
- To bring awareness on various aspects and significance of safe drinking water and involvement of stakeholders in manner that make water everyone's business