1st October, 2021 Science and Technology
Disclaimer: No copyright infringement of images intended.
- US space agency NASA has cleared the launch of Landsat 9 by Atlas V rocket..
- Landsat 9 is a powerful Earth-observing satellite.
- The Landsat 9 satellite is a joint NASA and US Geological Survey (USGS) mission that will continue the legacy of monitoring Earth's land and coastal regions that began with the first Landsat satellite in 1972.
- The rocket will take Landsat 9 to its orbit 438 miles above Earth.
- Landsat 9 will join its sister satellite, Landsat 8 that was launched in 2013, in orbit in collecting images from across the planet every eight days.
- This calibrated data will continue the Landsat programme's critical role in monitoring the health of Earth and helping people manage essential resources, including crops, irrigation water, and forests.
- It will also study the boundaries of Earth's magnetic field, to see how energy from the Sun can break through our planet's magnetic shield, and study how quickly their atmospheres are escaping.