Disclaimer: Copyright infringement not intended.
Context: Nagarathars, members of a trader community, from various parts of the globe thronged Nattarsankottai for the Sevvai Pongal.
- Nagarathar is a Chettiar community in Shaivism that originated in Naganadu a small island in Sri Lanka
- Later they were brought by Pallavas to Kanchi and they lived there for more than 1000 years.
- But they couldn’t live a satisfying life due to the king's behavior so they migrated to Kaveripoompattinam under the Chola kingdom.
- in Kaveripoompattinam, the chola kings gave lots of benefits to the Nangarhar and nagarthars increased the economy of the Chola and helped them a lot during the war times financially.
- Due to some cruel behavior of Cholas and natural calamities, nagarthars migrated to the Pandya kingdom.
- Pandyas offer a dry land area for the nagrathar community that is the present Chettinad.
- Nagarathars are a prominent mercantile Tamil vanigar caste in Tamil Nadu, South India.
- They are a community with very rich cultural heritage, known for their philanthropy; building temples and schools, and maintaining them throughout India and Asia.
- Chettiars are extremely intelligent and have strong values.
- They were able to travel to foreign countries by boat, train, and by foot and set up businesses.
- They have built huge mansions, many with gorgeous tiles imported from Italy in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
- Even today, Nagarathars have formed Sangams in different countries where they meet, preserve their culture, the Tamil Language.
- Now Nagarathars live in 52 countries.