World Congress on Disaster Management
Copyright infringement is not intended
Context: Defence Minister inaugurated the 5th World Congress on Disaster Management.
- He highlighted the Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Relief (HADR) missions in the IOR undertaken by India in recent years, including Operation Rahat in Yemen in 2015, cyclone in Sri Lanka in 2016; quake in Indonesia in 2019; Cyclone Idai in Mozambique and flooding and landslips in Madagascar in January 2020.
About World Congress on Disaster Management
- WCDM is a unique initiative of Disaster Management Infrastructure And Control Society (DMICS) to bring researchers, policy makers and practitioners from around the world in the same platform to discuss various challenging issues of disaster risk management.
- Mission : To promote interaction of science, policy and practices to enhance understanding of risks and advance actions for reducing risks and building resilience to disasters.
- Four editions of WCDM have been held so far.
- The first WCDM took place in 2008 in
- The second WCDM was organised jointly with Government of Andhra Pradesh in 2015 in the coastal city of Vishakhapatnam .
- The third WCDM was held in 2017 in Vishakhapatnam on a bigger scale to discuss the challenging issues of reducing risks and building resilience to disasters across sectors.
- The fourth WCDM was organised in Mumbai jointly with Government of Maharashtra, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay and Tata Institute of Social Sciences.
- WCDM has emerged as the largest global conference on disaster management outside the UN system.